Premier Asphalt Shingle Roofing in Charlotte, NC
Asphalt shingle roofing is the most widespread and cost-effective option today, which means that it’s the ideal choice for safe and sound roof. However, what you may not realize is that there are hundreds of options within the asphalt product lines to choose from. These options include varying levels of durability, style, color, accessories, and warranties. You also need to pick the right company to install the right product for your home.
As your local asphalt roofers, Liberty Roofworks has reliably and professionally been providing the finest quality materials and craftsmanship for the Charlotte surrounding communities. We are here to work with you during each phase of the process, and our award-winning installers are sure to do an outstanding job. When you choose a professional company like Liberty Roofworks, that uses only the highest quality materials you’re guaranteed to love your new roof!
Call us today at 704-463-8177 to schedule a free 21 point roof diagnostic inspection with one of our expert roofing advisors to learn more about asphalt shingle roofing in Charlotte, NC.
There are three different types of asphalt shingles to choose from: three-tab asphalt shingles, architectural asphalt shingles, and premium asphalt shingles.
- Three-tab Asphalt Shingles: these shingles are the most common type found on existing roofs today. Their characteristic appearance includes cutouts which make them look like three separate shingles. Three-tab shingles are affordable, lightweight, easy to maintain, energy-efficient and can even last up to 20 years.
- Architectural Asphalt Shingles: These shingles consist of two parts, (backer and face component) known as a shim and dragon-tooth that are laminated together with an asphalt sealant. The shingles have a more refined appearance that a simple three-tab shingle, they are more durable and are vastly superior when it comes to resisting damage from storms and high winds. The shingles are energy-efficient and provide greater return on investment in the form of increased property value and can even last up to 50 years.
- Premium Asphalt Shingles: These product lines are offered by every major shingle manufacturer, and as the name suggests, they are first in class. These shingles are designed to replicate the appearance of slate, shake, and tile roofing at a fraction of the cost.
Not only are there three types of shingles there are different base materials that the shingles can be manufactured from:
- Fiberglass Shingles: The base layer consists of a combination of woven fiberglass strands that the asphalt coating and ceramic granules encapsulate. The fiberglass core provides tensile strength to the shingle that allows it to expand contract without allowing the asphalt to become compromised. This combination of materials creates a watertight and UV-resistant roof cladding that is also extremely lightweight and thin due to its lower asphalt content.
- Organic Mat-based Shingles: This kind of asphalt shingle roof product consists of a core made of felt paper. Because the structural mat is made from paper the shingles are more susceptible to damage as the paper core can warp does not provide a very high level of tensile strength.
- Modified-Bitumen Shingles: This type of asphalt shingle roofing has existed for many years. It is predominantly used on flat roofs and commercial buildings. It has a fiberglass core, but the asphalt that is used is a very pure form of asphalt that is blended with rubberized polymers that provide for greater elasticity and strength. Shingles that are manufactured with these materials last up to 50 years and come with a class 4 hail rating; this means that the shingles are warranted against Hail damage for hail up to 2 inches in diameter.
Call today for free 21 point diagnostic inspection with one of our expert asphalt roofing consultants to help you determine which roof type is the best fit for your home. We’re here to provide exceptional asphalt shingle roofing in Charlotte, NC.
The Pros and Cons of Asphalt Shingle Roofing
As you might expect, when comes to making decisions about your roof, there are pros and cons that come with a terrific type.
Let’s begin with the pros, asphalt shingle roofing is the most popular type, because of its low cost. When combined with the financing options that we offer at liberty Roofworks Company, it makes for a fairly easy decision for homeowners to choose from. When these products are installed properly by certified professionals and a regular maintenance schedule is followed quality roof doesn’t have to be expensive and can last up to 20 years.
These products come in many colors, ranging from neutral earth tones like brown, to grayscale colors like black, white and gray. they even come in blue, green and red for the discerning few. If you have the budget for it, you can even select from asphalt shingle roofing that looks like natural slate or even tile. While you may invest more for these products, they are still significantly less expensive than real slate or tile roofs.
From a maintenance standpoint asphalt shingle roofs are relatively simple to service and repair. Because these materials have largely been standardized and are widely available in all colors finding components that match is easy. Many of the accessories designed to be used on a roof including pipe collars, step and counter flashing, ventilation components, skylights are all designed to be compatible with asphalt shingle roofs as well.
You can even install up to two layers of asphalt shingle roofing in the Carolinas. This means you could put a roof on top of roof instead of having to replace the entire roof. While this comes with its own slew of challenges and is not recommended for everyone, those on an extremely tight budget can use this method to still meet manufacturer installation requirements, homeowner’s insurance requirements, and building code at a significantly lower cost than full replacement.
Now, let’s address some of the less attractive aspects of asphalt roof shingles. First and foremost, asphalt roofing is not environmentally friendly. It cannot be recycled without creating harmful byproducts and emissions, and due to many of these products having relatively short lifespan (20 years) asphalt shingles create considerable amount of waste.
Shingle performance varies greatly depending on the climate zone in which they are installed. Temperature extremes on both ends of the spectrum tend to wreak havoc on asphalt and cause premature failure in the form on cracks, blisters and curling. You may need to replace your roof a lot sooner than you think depending upon where you live.
Is it time for you to get a new asphalt shingle roof? Call today at 704-463-8177 for a free 21 Point Roofing Diagnostic Inspection and see for yourself why Liberty Roofworks is one of the most trusted roofing professionals in Charlotte and get professional asphalt shingle roofing in Charlotte, NC.