An important part of caring for your home is taking care of the roof. This doesn’t mean replacing it entirely every time something goes wrong. It means giving it the maintenance it needs to avoid costly repairs and replacements.
Aside from your annual roof inspection, get in touch with Liberty Roofworks if you think there’s been potential damage done to your roof. This can include wear and tear or storm damage. When left unattended, you’re risking having more serious repairs.
What exactly is roof maintenance? Why is it important? Liberty Roofworks has all the answers to your questions about Charlotte, NC, roof maintenance.
The Basics of Roof Maintenance
Roofs can last anywhere from 15-100 years. The number of years depends on the material used, maintenance given to the roof, severe weather conditions, and general wear and tear. The easiest way to ensure a strong roof for your home is by hiring a roofing company to conduct annual inspections.
At annual inspections, a contractor will come out and take a close look at several parts of your home’s structure. Proper maintenance isn’t limited to your shingles, so here is a short list of what a contractor may inspect:
Contractors will check these for everything including weather damage, excessive debris, and if you’ve had animal intrusions. Having these checked annually is a necessary part of keeping your house strong and safe. However, to truly care for your roof’s maintenance, here is what you should know.
Why You Shouldn’t Conduct Your Own Annual Roof Inspections
Having an annual inspection done by an expert and getting professional help for repairs is essential. This is for two reasons.
- DIY is dangerous. While there are things you can look for, don’t attempt a full inspection on your roof. One slight slip and fall could spell disaster. Also, unless you’re experienced in the field, you won’t know the ins and outs of what to look for during an inspection.
- Proving to your insurance that the house’s top is properly cared for. If something happens to your roof, your insurance company should usually pay for it. However, if they believe you have been negligent with its care, they may deny coverage. Having a professional regularly confirm the condition of your house will show insurance companies you have cared for it appropriately.
Things You Should Keep An Eye Out For
Luckily for homeowners, there are some signs that you can check for as to the state of the top of your home. No roofing experience is required! When you notice any of these signs of damage, it’s time to call a professional.
- Missing shingles
- Curling or cracked shingles
- Shutter granules in gutters
- Deterioration around chimneys, vents, and pipes
- Increased humidity and moisture in your attic
- Water stains or discoloration on ceilings or walls
- Sagging on top of your house
- Sunlight in your attic
- Greenery on top of your house like moss or algae
If you notice any of the above, give our team a call. We take pride in the work we do and look forward to bringing your roof back to working condition.
3 Reasons Roof Maintenance is Important
For some, roof maintenance can just seem like a hassle. Having roofing contractors come out only to be told that everything is fine can seem like a waste of time. And being told your roof needs repairs when you don’t see a problem can be annoying.
Unfortunately, damage to your roof may seem small and unimportant. But roof damage that goes unseen by homeowners could lead to thousands of dollars in damage when it goes unrepaired or even requires a new roof. It could also leave your home and family vulnerable.
Let’s take a closer look at why roof maintenance should be a high priority for all homeowners.
1. Extend the Life of Your Roof
Depending on the material, your roof may last even longer than you do! However, when a contractor tells you how long your roof will last, that is with proper maintenance. If after installation, you never have an inspection, don’t expect yours to last 30 years. Expect to battle leaks and higher energy bills.
Whereas repair costs vary based on the job, a complete replacement will surely cost you thousands of dollars. And the better care you provide for your house, the longer you can wait to invest in a new roof. So, if you want your roof to last as many years as the higher end of the estimated range, make sure you get the recommended roof maintenance. That is how regular maintenance can save you money in the long term.
2. Avoid Further Damage to Your Home
When damage is done to your roof, the damage is unfortunately not limited to the top of your house and the exterior. The roof protects your home from the elements. When that protection is compromised, your home is exposed. There are many unexpected consequences of a damaged roof including:
- Interior ceilings. Whether you don’t have a large attic, or the damage has extended past your attic, you may end up with a ruined ceiling, destroying the paint, plaster, and ceiling lights and fans.
- Mold and mildewdeveloping in your home. Not only is this undesirable, but could pose a serious threat to your health.
- Fire hazards. If your electrical wiring is exposed to water, a fire may start from shorted wires.
- Rotting wood. Your roof protects the structural integrity of your home. If damaged, the wood parts of your home will be exposed to water. The more water, the more likely the wood structural components will rot, meaning danger for your home.
With consistent maintenance conducted by professionals, these are things you won’t need to worry about.
3. Ensure Protection for Your Home
Maybe you’ve noticed a few damaged shingles, but avoid calling a professional. Maybe you’ve recently had severe weather, or you can’t remember the last time you had a professional inspection. When this happens, you begin to wonder what is going on with your roof. You may ask yourself, “How much longer will it last?”.
These kinds of questions, particularly when you know the dangers of damage and leaks, can create anxiety for you and leave you looking around corners for black mold or water stains on ceilings.
When you have routine maintenance, you can lay all your fears to rest! Put your mind at ease and know that you and your loved ones are safe in your own home.
We’ve mentioned that regular maintenance can save you money in the long term by keeping you from needing a complete replacement. It will also provide you peace of mind which is priceless.
Is It Time To Call Charlotte, NC Roofers for an Inspection?
As we mentioned, it’s best to have professionals inspect your roof for annual inspections and whenever you see signs that your home needs repair. Waiting a year between inspections can be too long to avoid major damage when there’s a problem. And, there can often be damage to your roof that goes unnoticed to the untrained eye. So what then?
At Liberty Roofworks, we know how crazy the weather can be in the Charlotte, NC, area. From severe rain and tornadoes to ice storms, your roof goes through a lot. The beating it gets from the weather can slowly damage your roof. Moreover, small damage can lead to the need for bigger repairs later.
So when there is severe weather in the area, having a professional come and inspect for any possible damage can mean you’ll end up paying for small repairs now rather than big repairs later.
Finding Roofing Contractors in Charlotte, NC
Now that you understand the importance of consistent maintenance, you’ll need to find contractors in Charlotte, NC, to work with. Here is what we at Liberty Roofworks recommend you look for when finding trustworthy contractors for your home:
- Great Reviews. This will ensure you get high-quality repairs for your home.
- Free Quotes and Estimates. Don’t hire contractors without having a general idea of their rates and pricing based on the job. From there, you can decide if they are an affordable option for your project.
- Licensed and Insured. Any credible contractor will have no problem showing you their credentials.
Regular maintenance is essential to keep a quality roof over your head for many years. As we’ve seen, a damaged and poor quality roof can lead to many dangers for your home. Maintaining a strong roof will protect you while ensuring you don’t need a replacement for years if not decades to come.
If you spot the signs of damage, you’ve recently experienced extreme weather, or you can’t remember the last time you had a professional inspection, it’s time to call the professionals. Take care of your roof so that it can take care of you!